Friday, September 28, 2012

On Campus.

Commuter students do not have the luxury of returning to a dorm, though spending countless hours in your vehicle can be prevented. 


Class Schedule.

Most colleges allow you the opportunity to organize your class schedule, arranging it in your favor, and saving an abundance of time. For me, I scheduled all my classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays, allowing Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays to do as I please. 

The downside: I spend 8 hours three days a week on campus. Though it may not seem like a long time, comprehending all the material covered in each class, may be difficult at times. Also, exams tend to fall on the same day. Four consecutive, vigorous, mentally-draining tests can never be joyful. 

The upside: I have an abundant amount of time, without interruption, to study, work, or catch up on sleep/relax. The amount of gas is limited, and I save two commutes a weak, thus saving cash. 

The point: When considering your class schedule, take into consideration all of the points explained above. One thing that may work for me, may not work for someone else, spreading out classes may be beneficial to you. Also, one thing I may do next semester, is scheduling all my classes in the same buildings, or group them at least. Thus, preventing the 5 minute walk in the rain, or being close to the parking lot to exchange books, or grabbing a bite to eat.


The Parking Lot.

Luckily the college I attend, provides many commuter parking lots, spread throughout the campus. During hot days, I find it luxurious to park in the shade, so when I retreat to my car to eat lunch it is cool and comfortable. Another factor to consider when choosing a parking lot would be; position. Try to position your car in a place away from other vehicles. Squeezing into a space, may result in various dents to the side of your vehicle. Though we may be adults now, students still don't get the concept of hitting another car with your door, isn't the nicest thing to do. 


Familiarity.

The last, and possibly the most crucial concept, is becoming familiar with what your campus has to offer. As a commuter, school seems more like a job, and your unlikely to become familiar with areas outside your work space. Exploring various building can be very convenient, some things you may want to seek out are; libraries, learning assistance centers, and of coarse; cafeterias. Knowing where you can find help, study places, or food, will save you time. You will also reduce the situations of humility, in asking for directions, because you don't know where to find a slice of pizza. Becoming familiar with your campus will ultimately prove essential by providing yourself with comfort in down time between classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment