Saturday, November 24, 2012

China Eatery.

Being a commuter, living on my own, there is no meal plan. At first, I took pride in making dinner every night, but that didn't last long. I happened to stumble upon the glory that is Chinese food.

China Eatery.


Coming home around 5 or 8pm each night, with homework to do, there isn't much motivation to cook a healthy meal. Two weeks into school, after having hamburger helper for 14 days straight, my brother introduced me to a little place about 5 minutes from the house we are renting out. At first skeptical, as I have never been a fan of Chinese food, the order was placed and I was introduced to something that would forever change my commuting experience. It is a little place called China Eatery, the combination of General Tso's Chicken, Egg Role, Pork Fired Rice, and Wonton Soup (also known as a C18), has become necessary for the commuting lifestyle.

Commuting and the Freshman 15.


The moral of this blog is that commuting does not eliminate the possibility of the Freshman 15. Even though you loose the availability of the universities cafeteria food, I have found that the rigorous academics of college provides a gateway to unhealthy eating. At the ending of senior year, I weighed in at approximately 155lbs, now I am tipping the scales at 170lbs.  However, I have been hitting the gym and Chinese food is not all at fault for my weight gain, I think it is safe to say that it has had an influence. The combination of driving home after a long day, and doing homework late into the night, the convenience that easy and fast dinners serves to both commuters and those living in dorms. 

Withering of the wallet...


Furthermore, the cost at which commuting brings upon me, extends beyond gas. Placing 3-4 orders a week on a fast food joint takes a toll on your finances. At $17.66 for two meals to feed both my brother and I, it seems like a deal at first, but overtime cuts into our budget. We always seem to justify it by saying it's football Sunday or college ball Saturday, never the less it adds up. I have calculated that we spend $70.64 a week on Chinese between the two of us. Considering that we only have an allotted amount of  $100.00 a  week between the two of us, and with other expenses, it shows that when considering commuting you may want to be financially conscious or have a mom and dad you can rely on to send dinner your way? Either way it is ideal that you understand that commuting not only can also add inches to the waist but take inches away from your wallet as well.


Commuting and Responsibility.


The one thing that I have learned most from my decision to live on my own and commute to school is by far; being more responsible and mature. Self sustainable, time management, and financial responsibility are quickly adapted too when you decide to commute from your own place. These factors separate us commuters from those who choose to live on campus, it isn't for the weak minded, and demands self control and determination. Consider this when deciding to commute.


No comments:

Post a Comment