Saturday, October 27, 2012

Roadblock.

It is bound to happen, sooner or later, as a commuter you will be late to class. Whether it is sleeping in to late, running out of gas, or an accident, commuting offers so many obstacles that prevent you from making it to class on time. I remember the first time it happened to me, it goes a little something like this..

Oh Deer.


At the time, I was commuting from my parents house, and was inexperienced when it comes to commuting. I would often wait last minute to leave, drive with the gas light on, and other things I shouldn't have chanced.

This particular day, started out just like any other. Waking up after a much needed nap, I made myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, watched a little sports center, and got ready for class. Leaving for my 1:00pm General Chemistry lecture, I stopped at the local gas station. Deciding to spend my money on a slice of pizza and a Redbull, instead of gas, I continued on my commute. 

It was a great day, the sun was shining, Jay-Z was on the radio, and no cars on the road. Cruising around a corner, I see it out of the corner of my eye: a deer. Time slowed and I watched as the path of my car converged with the path of the deer. Slamming on my breaks, the deer is shot up and over the corner of my car, but my focus remains on the road ahead. Swerving in and out of each lane, my car comes to a stop, after a complete 180 degree turn. 

It being my first accident, I was pretty shaken up. After calling the police and filing a report, my mother arrives and let's me take her car. I ended up missing my lecture, but she made sure I was still able to make it to my lab. As you can see in the picture, the damages to my car where upwards of $8,000. The next 4 weeks I was stuck driving my mother's girly Mazda Miata around. 

It is worth noting commuting can be dangerous, and can cause multiple problems. Luckily, I was fortunate to have a spare vehicle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment